Friday, February 1, 2013

Scanning for a story

As most of you know, I am a police scanner junkie. I love to listen to it while I am at home just in case something interesting comes up. If I hear of something big going on, I will grab my camera and run. Why you ask? Partly to keep things interesting, and partly because it's good publicity! I have had several photos on the local news from being at a fire or hostage situation because I was listening on the scanner. It's almost like a Pavlovian reaction at this point. I hear sirens, and if the scanner isn't on already, I will turn it on, listening for a story to emerge.

As I do this, I think that photojournalism would be a great job for me. I would love to work for WMUR or the Union Leader, going around and taking photos of human interest stories. It would be interesting and different every day!

Even when I am just driving around, I find things that would make great photos. For example, today I was at the bank, and they are constructing a new building. At the base of the new building, a man was working, the sun was behind him, and a cloud of concrete dust was flying in the air around him, making the perfect silhouette. It would have made an amazing photo, unfortunately there was nowhere to pull over and grab the shot at the time.

So out of this, I guess my tip for the day is that anything can be turned into a great photo, you just have to look for it!


No comments:

Post a Comment